Last season the Covid-19 pandemic greatly impacted the NFL season. Prior to the 2020 season, there were 67 players in the NFL that decided to opt out of the season. That heavily impacted teams like the New England Patriots who had a league-high in opt-outs headlined by key players like linebacker Dont’a Hightower and safety Patrick Chung.
That was not ideal for the Patriots who were already feeling the loss of Tom Brady who went to Tamp Bay and helped the Buccaneers win a Super Bowl.
That is not going to be the case for the 2021 NFL season. Today, Tom Pelissero of the NFL Network reported that no players are believed to have opted out by the 2021 deadline.
The NFL is moving along and things look to get back to normal this season. Many players have been vaccinated and they have implemented a strict policy for players that are unvaccinated.
Players were given the same options this season as last by the league. They had the ability to opt-out as high-risk, voluntary, or they could leave the reason unspecified.
Below is the list of players that opted out during the 2020 season. The list includes high-risk, voluntary, and unspecified player opt-outs.
- Arizona Cardinals: OL Marcus Gilbert
- Baltimore Ravens: KR De’Anthony Thomas, OL Andre Smith
- Buffalo Bills: DT Star Lotulelei, CB E.J. Gaines
- Carolina Panthers: LB Christian Miller, LB Jordan Mack
- Chicago Bears: DT Eddie Goldman, S Jordan Lucas
- Cincinnati Bengals: DT Josh Tupou, OT Isaiah Prince
- Cleveland Browns: OL Colby Gossett, G Drew Forbes, T Drake Dorbeck, DT Andrew Billings, G Malcolm Pridgeon
- Dallas Cowboys: CB Maurice Canady, WR Stephen Guidry, FB Jamize Olawale
- Denver Broncos: DT Kyle Peko, RT Ja’Wuan James
- Detroit Lions: DT John Atkins, WR Geronimo Allison, C Russell Bodine
- Green Bay Packers: WR Devin Funchess
- Houston Texans: DT Eddie Vanderdoes
- Indianapolis Colts: LB Skai Moore, DB Rolan Milligan, DB Marvell Tell
- Jacksonville Jaguars: EDGE Lerentee McCray, CB Rashaan Melvin, DT Al Woods
- Kansas City Chiefs: OL Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, RB Damien Williams, OT Lucas Niang
- Las Vegas Raiders: DB D.J. Killings, DE Jeremiah Valoaga, LB Ukeme Eligwe
- Los Angeles Rams: OT Chandler Brewer
- Miami Dolphins: WR Allen Hurns, WR Albert Wilson
- Minnesota Vikings: DT Michael Pierce
- New England Patriots: LB Dont’a Hightower, FB Dan Vitale, RB Brandon Bolden, OL Najee Toran, WR Marqise Lee, OL Marcus Cannon, S Patrick Chung, TE Matt LaCosse
- New Orleans Saints: TE Jason Vander Laan, TE Cole Wick
- New York Giants: OL Nate Solder, WR Da’Mari Scott, CB Sam Beal
- New York Jets: OL Leo Koloamatangi, LB C.J. Mosley, WR Josh Doctson
- Philadelphia Eagles: WR Marquise Goodwin
- San Francisco 49ers: WR Travis Benjamin, OL Shon Coleman, OL Jake Brendel
- Seattle Seahawks: OL Chance Warmack
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: OT Brad Seaton
- Tennessee Titans: OL Anthony McKinney
- Washington Football Team: DE Caleb Brantley, LB Josh Harvey-Clemons