Who doesn’t love the taste of creamy buffalo chicken dip? Although this is a fan favorite, traditional buffalo chicken dip is low in nutrients and high in calories that may leave you feeling sluggish. This recipe offers a lighter and healthier version that will leave you feeling satisfied. Did I mention how great it tastes?!
What makes this buffalo chicken a healthier alternative?
In traditional buffalo dip, a main ingredient is cream cheese. In only 28 grams (one serving size), cream cheese has 10 grams of fat and 2 grams of protein. This recipe replaces cream cheese with greek yogurt. To compare gram for gram with the cream cheese, 28 grams of FAGE 2% Greek Yogurt contains less than 1 gram fat, 1 gram of carbs, and 4 grams of protein. Products high in protein are beneficial because protein has been shown to increase satiety and improve body composition.
Greek yogurt has much less saturated fat than cream cheese. Limiting trans fat and saturated fat decreases the risk of heart disease, stroke, and weight gain.
Greek Yogurt contains a variety of live active cultures (L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus, L. Casei) as well. This “good” bacteria is an essential component to a healthy gut.
Serving buffalo chicken dip over a sweet potato offers a healthy and hearty alternative to traditional buffalo chicken dip. Buffalo chicken dip is commonly eaten with tortilla chips, which is high in fat and offers little nutritional value. Sweet potatoes are a great alternative because they provide:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- other trace vitamins and minerals
This recipe is perfect for home-cooked meals, work events, party appetizers, or even a mid-afternoon snack.
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 cup buffalo sauce
- 1 cup FAGE 2% plain greek yogurt
- 4 sweet potatoes
- green onions
- crumbled blue cheese
- plain greek yogurt sour cream substitution
- black olives
- Cook chicken in a crockpot on high for 3-4 hours
- When chicken is tender, shred with 2 forks
- Add the buffalo sauce and greek yogurt to the chicken
- Set crockpot to low or keep warm setting
Sweet Potato Preparation:
- preheat oven to 375°F
- Wash sweet potatoes
- Wrap sweet potatoes in tin foil
- Bake at 375°F for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender
- When potato is baked, cut in half and stuff with buffalo chicken
- Garnish with toppings
- Feel free to add your own healthy toppings.
- Try the buffalo chicken on more than just sweet potatoes! Celery, carrots, pita bread, whole grain crackers or chips, tortillas, or topping a salad are all awesome options.